Deadline: 5pm, 29th January 2020.
On behalf of the Association for the Study of Medical Education (ASME), which includes in its goals, the promotion of high-quality research into medical education, the Education Research Committee invites ASME Members to submit an application for the Research Paper Award (formerly Best Original Research Paper Award). It is expected that applicants will describe research that is completed at the time of abstract submission.
Applications should be made via the online submission form. Your submission should be no more than 800 words (excluding references).
Criteria by which the applications will be judged are:
- Novelty of subject matter or approach within the field of medical education research. (2x weighting)
- Contribution to the field of medical education research. (2x weighting)
- A clear statement of rationale with a relevant gap in literature identified.
- Clearly stated research question(s) and/or aims and objectives that are in concordance with the research design.
- Clear rationale for the methodological / theoretical approach taken.
- Findings from results clearly reported and the new knowledge generated by the study clearly stated.
- Relevant discussion and justified conclusions presented with recommendations and / or relevance to practice outlined
If the above criteria are not met, the submission will be rejected due to the instructions not being adhered to.
Initial submissions will be reviewed by the ASME Education Research Committee (ERC) panel against the criteria for the award. The three highest submissions will be shortlisted.
Shortlisted candidates will be expected to deliver an academic presentation of their work at a specific session during ASME’s Annual Scientific Meeting, 8th - 10th July 2020, at the ACC, Liverpool, UK. Applicants must, therefore, be available on those dates.
The three shortlisted presentations will be judged by the conference delegates who attend the session. The delegates will be given a copy of the criteria beforehand and asked to make their judgement against this. The process will be overseen by the ERC panel who will make the final decision based on the voting once the papers are collected. The winner will be announced on the closing day of the conference.
- Shortlisted candidates will need to fund their own attendance at the 2020 ASM
First prize is £250 and a certificate in recognition of the award, both of which will be given after the ASM to the winning presenter(s). Please note fees for conference attendance are not covered.
The submission should be in typescript font size 12 in Word format and up to 800 words long (excluding references). Submissions should be received by ASME by 5pm, 29th January 2020. All entries must be entered via the online submission process which can be accessed from our website www.asme.org.uk.