ASME membership brings with it many benefits including access to a thriving community of medical educators and scholars. In addition you will receive regular mailings about ASME conferences and activities as well as access to our world class journals.
ASME is a UK focused, internationally-facing membership organisation of people with a commitment and interest in health professions education, scholarship and training. This includes those working in health professions education, postgraduate trainers, training programme directors, deans, undergraduate and postgraduate students, trainees, and medical education researchers.
ASME is unique in that it draws its members from all areas of medical education – undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing professional development – from all specialties, and from different disciplines, hence reflecting the diversity of people involved in medical education. It provides a range of member services in the following areas: Scholarship and Research, Education and Training, Continuing Professional Development and Leadership development. ASME provides members access to a wide range of Special Interest Groups. ASME’s aim is to enable members to discover, share and further best practice in Medical Education.
Benefits of Individual Membership
- Exchange of information. Members span the full range of health professionals and include others involved in medical education at all levels (undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing)
- Regular mailings about ASME conferences and activities
- Regular news of ASME, and of other bodies concerned with medical education via electronic communication and social media channels
- Receipt of the monthly journal Medical Education as online access and the bi-monthly online journal The Clinical Teacher
- Members can apply for our varied collection of grants, awards and fellowships
- Members can become involved with our various Committees, Career Groups and Special Interest Groups.
- Members can submit abstracts for our Annual Scholarship Meeting (ASM)
- Discounted rates for members at ASME events
- Members can attend and vote at the ASME Annual General Meeting
- Members can submit blog articles for our website. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info
- We look to our membership for our Board of Directors, all of whom are ASME members. Also, each year we advertise for a Director from the Membership, an appointment that lasts one year and involves a special project to help us achieve our mission of ‘Advancing Scholarship in Medical Education’
- Discounts are available on all ASME publications such as Understanding Medical Education and Researching Medical Education
- Opportunity to participate in the ASME Mentoring Programme
Costs of Individual Membership
You can join ASME online by clicking on the relevant Join button below. It normally takes around 10 working days to process your membership once we have received your application and payment. Membership is payable online by Credit/Debit card at the time of application.
Widening participation for UG students
JASME membership will be reduced to £15 per annum for students studying at Universities who are institutional members of ASME*, a reduction from the current standard JASME/Undergraduate membership fee of £34.
In addition to this, recognising that this amount can be challenging for some students whom we wish to support, we will also provide free membership to students from a Widening Participation background whilst they are in full-time study. *
All University Medical Schools have also been informed of this new membership benefit.
* Terms & Conditions:
- Students must be studying full time at a member institution
- Reduced rates will cease on graduation
- Students wishing to apply for free membership must provide a letter from their institution confirming their WP status or that they are in significant financial hardship to qualify
- Membership enables online access to our journals Medical Education and The Clinical Teacher
MedEd =Medical Education, ASME's online journal, published monthly
TCT = The Clinical Teacher, ASME's online journal, published every 2 months
Please note that all individual memberships will automatically renew on an annual basis as standard. If you have signed up via our website site using your debit/credit card you can cancel the renewal in advance at any time by logging into your account and clicking on the CANCEL SUBSCRIPTION button on the My Subscriptions tab of your profile page.
Cancellation policy for new individual memberships: Notice needs to be given in writing within 28 days of joining. A refund will be given minus a £5 administration fee. After the 28 day notice period, no partial refunds will be given for memberships cancelled before expiration. Cancellation requests must be emailed to email@example.com
Cancellation and changing membership types for existing individual memberships. Notice that you wish to cancel your membership needs to be given in by email to firstname.lastname@example.org a minimum of 2 weeks before the membership is scheduled for renewal. If notice is given after a renewal, the membership will be changed or cancelled for the next billing cycle. No partial refunds will be given for changes to a membership plan. Cancellation and membership changes must be emailed to email@example.com
No refunds will be given part way through a subscription year.
|Membership (per annum) including options
|+online MedEd & TCT
|+ online TCT only
|Clinical (Medical, Dental and Veterinary / Career grade)
|Non-clinical staff / Medical, Dental and Veterinary, Clinical Training Grades / Nurses / Pharmacists / Allied Healthcare Professionals PhD, MD, PGCert, DIP, MSc and Masters students / Physician Associates / Physician Assistants
|JASME membership All students, FY 1/2 doctors and other healthcare professionals within 2 years of graduation. Access to both our online journals. Please note that costs vary based on circumstances and range from free up to £34.
|TASME membership All medical graduates in training or fellow posts up to 5 years after completing FY2. Medical graduates with their CCT to please joining ASME. Health professionals, science educators or health professions education professional and support staff within 7 years of graduation. Access to both our online journals.