ASME is an independent, non-statutory organisation, run by doctors and healthcare educationalists for all individuals and organisations who participate in, and are responsible for, the delivery of medical education, training and continuing professional development. ASME can influence policy in medical education and training through established links with decision-making bodies such as the General Medical Council, National Association of Clinical Tutors, COPMeD and the Department of Health.
Institutional Members of ASME have access to benefits and services such as information, advice and contacts in medical education, provided by the Association. ASME values the fundamental support Institutional institutions provide in devising overall policy, through Council. Institutional and Individual Members have interests in undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing medical education, across all healthcare specialties.
Institutional Membership currently costs £477 per annum. Click here to read more about the benefits of Institutional Membership.
Benefits to Institutional Members
- All Institutional Members of ASME have an automatic right to send a representative to ASME Council (this was agreed at the Council meeting held on 9 September 1998). This right enables institutions to take part in the central discussions on medical education at ASME, and to influence policy through ASME's links to bodies such as the GMC, Department of Health, COPMed and NACT. Many Medical Schools, Postgraduate Centres, and some Royal Colleges, are already Institutional Members of ASME. A nominated representative receives copies of the journal, and multiple copies of ASME mailings for distribution within the institution.
- Institutional Members have the right to send a representative of the institution to Council who can participate in, and influence ASME's activities (representatives attending Council meetings should seek reimbursement of travel expenses from their own institution)
- Receipt of one copy of the journal Medical Education, the monthly journal of ASME. The journal provides a unique forum for the documentation and transmission of problems, innovations and progress in different countries in medical education. It is a link between the large number of bodies and individuals involved in medical education throughout the world and is essential reading for those who are moulding and developing medical education. Institutional membership also entitles you to one copy of our quarterly journal The Clinical Teacher
- Receipt of regular mailings containing details of forthcoming courses and conferences along with information on current ASME publications
- Staff at Institutional Member institutions may submit summaries of research papers for the ASME Annual Scientific Meeting, and selected papers are published on the ASME website
- Discounts are available on fees for five representatives of the institution at ASME conferences
- Discounts are available on all ASME publications. The ASME Medical Education Booklets and Research Booklets have been updated. The current list is available from the ASME office and on this website
- Receipt of the Annual Report
- Regular mailings for dissemination within the institution
- The right to attend and vote at the ASME Annual General Meeting
To join now just fill in our secure online membership form!
Please note that we have specific terms and conditions in relation to the usage of our Institutional Membership logo - please make sure you have read and understood them before you use the logo on your own site and/or materials.